Rehabilitation Advisor | Metropolitan Development & Housing Agency
METROPOLITAN DEVELOPMENT AND HOUSING AGENCY - HUMAN RESOURCES DIVISION
Position Open: October 1, 2021
Position Closing Date: October 28, 2021
Position: Rehabilitation Advisor
Salary: $53,717 - $69,832
Under general supervision, this employee is responsible for performing initial inspections of properties to determine feasibility for rehabilitation, preparing work write-ups, technical specifications and cost estimates for items to be repaired.
MDHA offers competitive salaries and an amazing retirement program. Our Mission is to create affordable housing opportunities, support neighborhoods, strengthen communities and help build a greater Nashville.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND LICENSES:
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Architecture or related field, and three (3) years experience in design and construction of buildings or as a Housing Rehabilitation Inspector or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Candidates with accreditation earned in foreign institutes are encouraged to apply
- Perform comprehensive inspections of properties, to include crawl spaces, attics, cellars and roofs to determine extent of rehabilitation work required;
- Obtain input from Metro Codes and other agency staff, as necessary, on code/permitting requirements prior to finalizing scope of work;
- Prepare scope of work, technical specifications and cost estimate for labor and materials on properties to be rehabilitated;
- Meet with property owners and contractors to explain the scope of work, communicate program requirements and responsibilities of each party to facilitate completion of work;
- Prepare bid documents and instructions to bidders to receive competitive bids on work to be performed in accordance with agency/grant procurement requirements;
- Ensure instructions to bidders include details on licensing requirements, lead-based paint remediation/abatement, if applicable, and other pertinent requirements to ensure work is completed in accordance with grant requirements;
- Review bid proposals and tabulations to ensure costs are reasonable and aligned with agency cost estimate; justify/document any deviations.
- Pull printout from System for Award Management (SAMs) to document file that contractor is not on list of federal, debarred contractors prior to award of contract;
- Review contract documents, including design modifications, requested cost changes, material submittals, insurance certificates, etc., to protect the interests of the Owner;
- Inspect work in progress to determine that quality is acceptable according to industry standards and conforms with written specifications;
- Ability to assist contractors with code or method problems and provide technical assistance to homeowners on property maintenance procedures;
- Act as mediator to resolve disputes between property owners and contractors;
- Coordinate with other rehabilitation staff to see that the work is performed in accordance with contract documents;
- Keep supervisory staff fully advised of project process and issues, with recommendations for improvement when needed;
- Maintain appropriate records and prepare periodic progress reports for Agency management.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of State and Local regulations and codes applying to housing conditions and occupancy;
- knowledge of special requirements of Community Development Block Grant or HOME housing rehabilitation programs;
- knowledge of building construction/remodeling practices;
- ability to read blue-prints, write specifications and estimate costs for labor and materials.
- ability to communicate with contractors, architects and/or subcontractors, etc. in their own language; skill in obtaining the cooperation between property owners and contractors;
- ability to plan, organize and carry out a work program;
- ability to keep records and make reports;
- ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the building trades, governmental agencies, staff personnel and others;
- ability to evaluate contractor’s ability to perform needed and adequate repairs.
- Willingness, mental and physical ability to perform the duties involved in this classification.
- ability to perform work with or without an accommodation that requires some physical exertion such as walking, climbing, bending, stooping, stretching or similar activity; dexterity of hands and clarity of vision, speech and hearing and powers of observation; other physical duties as required
General office equipment, personal computer and automobile.
Supervises as needed and directed by the Department Director.
Valid Tennessee driver’s license
THE METROPOLITAN DEVELOPMENT AND HOUSING AGENCY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND HIRES REGARDLESS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY, AGE, RELIGION, AND DISABILITY, GENETIC INFORMATION OR ANY OTHER LEGALLY PROTECTED STATUS.
Apply at Metropolitan Development and Housing Agency | EMPLOYMENT (nashville-mdha.org). Upon reviewing all applications submitted for job openings, the Human Resources Office will notify those applicants who are selected for personal interviews. Applicants selected for a position must successfully pass a pre-hire physical examination and drug screen in order to be hired. MDHA is certified by the State of Tennessee as a Drug-Free Workplace.
Metropolitan Development and Housing Agency
701 South Sixth St.
Nashville, Tennessee 37206
To request a reasonable accommodation or assistance with language interpretation,
please call 615-252-8550.