Senior Apartment Maintenance Supervisor | MAA Acklen
The Senior Service Manager reports to the Property Manager and works to ensure that all apartment units and other property facilities are in good working order and maintained to acceptable standards for MAA and for residents at a large (700+ unit) property.
This position delegates tasks and assignments to maintenance and other staff or performs tasks as needed, including: service requests, preparing a unit for rent availability (market ready), painting of units, and landscape duties.
The Senior Service Manager also keeps a maintenance schedule. This position orders parts and supplies for the community according to budget. The Senior Service Manager also communicates regularly with the Property Manager to discuss individual issues and to ensure that goals are being met. The Senior Service Manager heads the maintenance staff and assists with hiring, training, and developing staff under his/her guidance.
The successful candidate will embody and work to reinforce MAA’s Core Values. Those values include:
• Appreciating the uniqueness of each individual
• Communicating openly and with integrity
• Embracing opportunities
• Doing the right thing at the right time for the right reasons
Duties and Responsibilities
• Receives orders for service, performs service in apartments as requested by residents or as required to keep equipment operating efficiently, prioritizes work orders, and handles in the most efficient manner.
• Oversees each work order to ensure that it is properly and quickly completed; may perform the work of subordinates if needed.
• Advises maintenance personnel with complex orders.
• Contacts vendors for work not performed by staff and oversee and approve their work.
• Keeps a preventive maintenance schedule and assigns tasks to get it completed; keeps Service Representatives on schedule to make market ready turns of vacant units as fast as possible.
• Keeps the maintenance shop organized and in good working order.
• May order parts and supplies based upon the maintenance budget.
• Discusses various issues with the Property Manager for resolution or to inform and keeps the Property Manager aware of the overall maintenance condition of the property.
• May supervise the landscape, painting, and housekeeping function of the property.
• Hires, trains, and develops the staff under his/her guidance. The Property Manager may require final approval.
• Hears resident complaints and resolves in the best manner possible.
• Performs other related duties as assigned to meet the needs of the business.
• High school diploma/GED
• Four years of experience in performing mechanical repairs and maintenance of home-related mechanical equipment. This should include a background in the repair and maintenance of heating and air conditioning units.
• Must possess an HVAC certification, and other certifications as needed at the assigned property
• Must possess valid driver’s license.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Thorough knowledge of heating and air conditioning unit repair and maintenance
• Basic knowledge of the repair and maintenance of other household appliances, plumbing, and lighting fixtures
• Ability to communicate with residents, vendors, and co-workers in a friendly manner and businesslike manner
• Ability to work in disagreeable conditions, both outside and inside, for extended periods of time and to lift weights of over 50 lbs. regularly
• Skill in using common and specialized tools to efficiently make repairs and perform maintenance duties
• Ability to guide and direct the work of others
• Good organizational skills
Physical and Environmental Requirements
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
• This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds.
• This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
We are committed to providing service excellence and value to those who depend on us at MAA. Our people-first approach has been transforming properties into communities and apartments into homes for over 25 years. As the largest owner-operator of multifamily apartments in the United States – we are established leaders in the real estate space – bringing tremendous opportunities to those looking to build their careers. We invite you to explore our Brighter View and find your place at MAA!
Drug Free Workplace